Spicy Tortilla Soup RecipeReport Violation
Tortilla Soup Recipe - Delicious And Slightly Spicy Tortilla Soup Recipe And Also Diabetic Friendly.
6 cups 98% fat-free, no-salt-added chicken broth
canola oil cooking spray
1 cup chopped white onion
2 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped plum tomatos
1/2 tablespoon crushed dried oregano
freshly ground pepper to taste
6 fresh corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
3/4 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1 small ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into twelve wedges
2 scallions, white part and 2 inches green, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 fresh lime, cut into six wedges
1. In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth to a boil; reduce heat to simmer.
2. Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add onion, chile peppers, and garlic. Sauté over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato, oregano, and pepper. Sauté, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to soup pot and stir into simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450° (230°C), Gas Mark 8. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange tortilla strips in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes, tossing strips occasionally. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Stir cooked chicken into simmering soup.
5. To serve, place 2 tablespoons (14 g) shredded cheese in each of 6 shallow soup bowls. Divide the soup equally between the bowls and top each serving with two avocado slices and some of the scallion and cilantro. Float tortilla strips on top and offer a wedge of lime to squeeze over each serving.
Nutritional Info Per Serving: 215 calories, 8 g total fat, 21 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 30 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium