Skinny and Tender Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Just in time for Super BowlReport Violation
4 pounds pork tenderloin
2 large onions, sliced
1 (18 oz) bottle Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce or your favorite
1 recipe for Simply Crunchy Slaw
12 whole wheat or multi-grain hamburger buns, I used Trader Joe’s Honey Wheat buns
1. Cut each piece of pork tenderloin in half, to easily fit in the crock pot.
2. Place slices from 1 onion on the bottom of the crock pot. Add all the pork. Cover the pork with the other onion slices.
3. Pour ½ of the bottled barbecue sauce over the top. Cover and cook on high setting for 30 minutes. Turn temperature down to low and cook for about 3 ½ -4 hours, until it’s easy to shred with a fork.
4. Remove the tender pork to a cutting board or plate and shred with a fork. Discard the sauce from the crock pot. In a large bowl, add the shredded pork and remaining barbecue sauce. Toss to coat well. Just before serving, heat shredded pork in microwave before serving.
5. To assemble the sandwiches: Heat the buns slightly in the microwave or oven. Mound ½ cup of pork on bottom of the bun. Top with ½ coleslaw and other half of bun.
Makes 12 sandwiches (each serving, ½ cup shredded pork and ½ cup coleslaw)
Weight Watchers (old points) 9
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 11
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 sandwich including the bun and slaw
447 calories, 10g fat, 44g protein, 49g carbs, 6g fiber, 864mg sodium, 15g sugar
*Reducing the Calories and Weight Watchers POINTS Tip You can cut the calories and points down by using an Oroweat Sandwich Thin instead of a hamburger bun. The skinny facts are based on using Trader Joe’s Honey Wheat bun at 200 calories, 2.5g fat, 4g fiber and 5 POINTS PLUS. Oroweat Sandwich Thins have 100 calories, 1g fat, 5g fiber and 3 POINTS PLUS. If you use a sandwich thin, the skinny facts are calories are 347 calories, 8.5 grams fat and 9 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
*For more skinny recipes, with weight watchers points, please join me at http://skinnykitchen.com