Dazzling, Skinny Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake For Valentine's DayReport Violation
1 (18.25 ounces) Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake Mix
1 (3.4 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup reduced-fat chocolate milk
½ cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or a spread like Smart Balance Light, melted
1¼ teaspoons pure almond extract
2 eggs, I love Eggland’s Best eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup cherry pie filling, such as Comstock’s (this recipe uses the entire can)
Cherry Glaze Ingredients
1 cup powdered sugar
¼ cup cherry pie filling
½ tablespoon corn syrup, optional, see prep tip
½ teaspoon almond extract
⅔ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon reduced-fat or fat-free milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Using an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, pudding, chocolate milk, water, canola oil. butter and almond extract. Mix until smooth.
3. Add the eggs, egg whites and beat until smooth. Fold in 1 cup cherry pie filling.
4. Pour the batter evenly into the Bundt pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Bake longer if necessary.
5. To make the cherry glaze: In a small bowl, using a rubber spatula, combine the powdered sugar, ¼ cup pie filling, corn syrup, extract and mix until smooth. Allow the cake to cool before drizzling on the glaze.
6. To make the drizzle: In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, milk and mix until smooth. This should be quite thick. Drizzle over the glazed cake. If desired, use some of the left over cherries in the can of pie filling to decorate the top.
Professionals use a little corn syrup to make the glaze look bright and shiny. If you don’t want to use it, it will not change the flavor at all.
I love the combination of chocolate, cherries and almond extract. If you don’t like the flavor of almond use vanilla extract instead for both the cake and glaze.
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
SKINNY FACTS: for one slice
286 calories, 6g fat, 3g protein, 56g carbs, 0g fiber, 335mg sodium, 33g sugar
For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://skinnykitchen.com