Cauliflower Shells and Cheddar SauceReport Violation
South Beach Diet Recipes - Healthy South Beach Diet Phase 2 Recipe Made With Cauliflower Florets, Pinto Beans, And Whole Wheat Pasta Shells Made In A Rich Cheddar Cheese Sauce.
4 oz small or medium whole wheat pasta shells (about 1 c)
2 c small cauliflower florets (8 oz)
1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 c 1% or fat-free milk
3 Tbsp chickpea flour (see tip below)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 c shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
1. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
2. Add the cauliflower for last 5 minutes of cooking time.
3. Drain the pasta and cauliflower well and transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in the beans.
4. As soon as you add the pasta to the boiling water, start the Cheddar sauce: In a small saucepan, stir 1/4 cup of the milk into the chickpea flour. Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup milk and the mustard.
Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often. Add the cheese in handfuls, stirring to melt each batch.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta mixture and toss to coat. Garnish with fresh chives if you like.
Makes 4 Servings
Nutrition Info Per Serving (1 1/4 c): Per serving: 304 cal, 8 g fat, 4 g sat fat, 4 g pro, 42 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 490 mg sodium
TIP: To make your own chickpea flour, rinse and drain canned chickpeas. Spread out on a baking sheet and leave out overnight to dry thoroughly. Process in a food processor until finely ground. Pass through a strainer and reprocess any lumps. Store in a resealable plastic bag in the freezer.